Send To A Friend

Boating Links

Missouri Boating License

Missouri Boating License

No one under the age of 14 years old is permitted to operate a motor boat in Missouri unless under the direct, onboard supervision of an adult or a 16 year-old Boater's Education Certificate holder. Anyone who was born after January 1, 1984 is required to successfully complete an approved Boater Safety Education Course in order to obtain a Boater's Card in Missouri. Click here or Missouri Boating Education Course Requirements.

Anyone who was born before January 1, 1984 is not required to carry proof of completing the Boating Education Requirement. Boating Safety Identification Cards are issued by the Missouri State Water Patrol.

Your Boating License

Although it gives you “license” to legally operate a boat on Missouri waters, the boater's card is not considered a boating license because it never expires.

How to Obtain Your Boat Operator's Certification in Missouri

Upon completing an approved online course and paying the appropriate course fee, you'll be able to print a temporary certificate on the spot. This certificate will allow you to operate a vessel legally on Missouri waters until you receive your permanent card. The card will be mailed to you from the Missouri Department of Revenue within a few days. Remember to always carry your card or driver's license with you when operating a boat.

For an additional $1 fee, you option to have the boating safety course verification stamp applied to your driver's license. In lieu of getting a boater's card.

If You Lose your Boat Operator's Certificate /License

A replacement Boater's Education Card is available for $15.00. Please click here to print out the form, complete it and enclose a check or money order made payable to the Missouri Water Patrol and mail to:

Missouri State Highway Patrol
Water Patrol Division
P. O. Box 568
Jefferson City, MO 65102

After receiving your request, the Missouri Water Patrol will mail your replacement card within ten days.


Missouri accepts Licenses / Certificates / Cards issued by those states whose courses meet the minimum requirements set by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). Most states with a mandatory boater education requirement will accept a Missouri Boat Operator’s Card / Certification.